July 13, 2020
WHY WE NEED MAGNESIUM (ACTIONS/FUNCTION)
Magnesium supplementation is actually crucial for everyone today but we have to pay special attention to the method of supplementation because this is critical in terms of effective body utilization. (See last page)
Research shows that 60% of individuals in the United States do not consume the daily recommended amount of dietary magnesium, and 19% of Americans do not consume even half of the government’s recommended daily intake of magnesium.
The fact that as our world has become more toxic, our need for magnesium has increased dramatically while at the same time the amount supplied by our basic foods has decreased substantially. With an average of ten times more calcium than magnesium in our current diet, there is no doubt about magnesium deficiency.
A lack of this critical nutrient is a major factor in many common health problems.
Magnesium may be the most important nutrient in the body, but it is its own worst enemy because magnesium doesn’t lend itself to easy measurement. Only 1 percent of the body’s magnesium is found in the blood stream. An ordinary serum blood test is unable to give even a rough estimate of the total body magnesium. If magnesium is depleted from the blood, magnesium is immediately grabbed from the bones and muscles to make up for the loss. A debit at these sites results in muscle spasms, angina, osteoporosis and many other magnesium deficiency symptoms. In spite of a true deficiency a magnesium blood test can still appear normal. Almost 80 percent of the population is deficient in magnesium.
Magnesium is involved with over 300 metabolic enzymes in the body making it indispensable as a co-factor in the following crucial processes:
• Temperature regulation
• Producing and transporting energy
• Synthesizing protein
• Transmitting nerve signals in the brain and throughout the body.
• Relaxing muscles- including bowel, heart, blood vessels, Fallopian tubes, and skeletal muscles
• Manufacturing bones and teeth
• Detoxifying heavy metals including mercury
• Neutralizing acidity in the blood from poor diet and chemical toxicity
• Digesting lipids and balancing cholesterol levels
• Creating neurotransmitters like serotonin
Possible symptoms and conditions associated with magnesium deficiency include muscle spasms, leg cramps, restless legs, insomnia, anxiety, high blood pressure, angina, heart palpitations, poor cognitive processing, headaches and chronic migraines, constipation and related disorders like IBS, fatigue, and mood and behavioral disorders.
Dr. Linda Rapson, who specializes in treating chronic pain, believes that about 70 percent of her patients who complain of muscle pain, cramps and fatigue are showing signs of magnesium deficiency. Common conditions such as mitral valve prolapse, migraines, attention deficit disorder, autism, fibromyalgia, anxiety, asthma and allergies have all been associated with a deficiency in magnesium.
Transdermal magnesium therapy offers an exciting breakthrough in sports medicine. Coaches can now treat injuries, prevent them, and increase athletic performance all at the same time. It enhances recovery from athletic activity or injuries, reduces pain and inflammation while propagating quicker regeneration of tissues. Topical application of magnesium chloride increases flexibility, which helps avoid injury. It also increases strength and endurance.
Oral magnesium and transdermal magnesium chloride have been reported to have positive effects in the following:
• Aids in hypertension
• Assists in the prevention of strokes and aids in recovery
• Improvement in insomnia
• Cardiac health
• Overall energy production
• Helps maintain memory function
• Magnesium is crucial for the removal of toxins and heavy metals.
• Helps build bones and make proteins.
• Calming effect on the nervous system.
• Assists diabetes by enhancing insulin secretion, facilitating sugar metabolism. Without magnesium, insulin is not able to transfer glucose into cells.
• Restores magnesium levels lost through chemotherapy, and reduces the risk of colon cancer.
• Improvement in autistic individuals.
• Asthma (both histamine production and bronchial spasms increase with magnesium deficiency)
• Cystitis- Bladder spasms are exacerbated by magnesium deficiency.
• Prevents Premenstrual Syndrome and cramping pain during menses.
• Tooth Decay-Magnesium deficiency perpetrates an unhealthy balance of phosphorus and calcium in saliva, which damages teeth.
• Magnesium assists in the relaxation of spastic blood vessels that cause pain and numbness of the fingers and extremities.
• Magnesium has been utilized in treating central nervous symptoms of vertigo and confusion.
• Musculoskeletal conditions such as fibrositis, muscle spasms and pains, eye twitches, muscle pains and fibromyalgia.
• Anxiety and panic attacks are helped by keeping adrenal stress hormones under control.
• Increases in DHEA levels, which is the bio-marker for aging. DHEA has been referred to as the “Master Hormone” and when produced at sufficient levels, will induce the production of all of the other hormones whose depletion can be associated with many symptoms of aging. (Norman Shealy MD)
Magnesium is poorly absorbed orally (except in glycinate or chelated forms). When Magnesium chloride is applied transdermally the cellular levels of magnesium are increased if those levels have been depleted. Once it penetrates the surface of the skin, the body transports it to whichever tissues need magnesium the most.
Magnesium can be applied directly to inflamed areas.
An ounce or more of magnesium oil a day all over the body is recommended for six months to recover cellular levels, with that dosage adjusted downward for children depending on their age and size. This coupled with oral intake, especially for adults, is necessary to get the maximum effect out of magnesium.
• Massaged into arthritic joints will frequently render almost instant reprieve from pain
• Sprayed into the mouth a number of times per day will invigorate the medulla elongate, and stimulate enamel on the teeth.
• Magnesium oil in a hot bath will impart a very relaxing soak while delivering a vast amount of magnesium to your cells. Great for restless legs.
• Sprayed on wrinkled skin may, in due course, begin to smooth it out.
Magnesium has a very low toxicity potential. Magnesium oxide is not recommended because only 4 percent is absorbed, so most of it goes through the intestines and can cause laxative effects. Note the citrate salt form of magnesium is helpful for constipation and increased peristalsis. The dosage of elemental magnesium is about 100mg three or four times a day or 3-5mg per pound of body weight (Carolyn Dean MD) Use magnesium oil or cream if suffering from loose bowel movements instead of oral magnesium. (i.e. IBS with diarrhea)
• Inside chlorophyll is the lamp of life and that lamp is magnesium
• Magnesium is the element that causes plants to be able to convert light into energy
• Chlorophyll is identical to hemoglobin except the magnesium atom at the center has been removed and iron put in its place
• Chlorophyll is vital for the body’s assimilation of amino acids and for synthesis of enzymes.
• Magnesium is found primarily inside the cell-only 1 percent is outside the cell-serum testing is not accurate
• Insulin is needed to transport Magnesium into the cell from the blood.
• Magnesium is needed for both the action of insulin and the manufacture of insulin.
• Magnesium deficiency leads to insulin resistance.
• In diabetics, magnesium is the elixir of life.
• Magnesium is needed for the maintenance of adequate supply of nucleotides for the production of RNA and DNA
• Dr. James Michael Howard- “Cancer and infections are both increasing and one of the basic reasons is reduced availability of DHEA, which stems from magnesium deficiency”
• Dr. Norman Shealy reports that when Magnesium Chloride is applied topically it will raise DHEA levels. Low DHEA levels: chronic inflammation, immune dysfunction, depression, rheumatoid arthritis, Type II diabetes and complications, increased risk of certain cancers, heart disease, osteoporosis.
• Cholesterol cannot be synthesized without magnesium and cholesterol is a vital component of many hormones.
• Dr. Mildred S. Seelig “Mg2+-ATP is the controlling factor for the rate-limiting enzyme in the cholesterol biosynthesis sequence that is targeted by the statin drugs.
• Magnesium is needed for the activity of the enzyme LCAT (lecithin cholesterol acyl transferase) which lowers LDL-C and triglyceride levels and raises HDL-C levels.
• Magnesium deficiency leads to the accumulation of toxins and acid residues, degeneration, and ages prematurely.
• Low magnesium is associated with dramatic increases in free radical generation as well as glutathione depletion which leads to an increase in mercury in the body.
• Glutathione requires magnesium for its synthesis-glutathione defends the body against damage from cigarette smoking, exposure to radiation, cancer chemotherapy, and toxins like alcohol and drugs.
• Depression and many other psychological disorders are most readily treated with magnesium.
Why do we love the beach so much? Intensive magnesium baths, aerosolized iodine, natural Vitamin D from the sun and grounding to the earth through the sand.
In summary, Cholesterol, Glutathione, Chlorophyll, Insulin, DHEA, and DNA all interact with Magnesium to work effectively.
Typical Dosing for Magnesium is 5mg per pound of body weight.
1. “Magnesium Oil”. www.ancient-minerals.com.
2. Sircus M, OMD. Transdermal Magnesium: A New Modality for the Maintenance of Health.
3. Dean C, MD. The Magnesium Miracle. Total Health. 29(1):32-33. www.totalhealthmagazine.com
Magnesium Products Available from Murray Avenue Apothecary
• Elemental Magnesium Chelate: 150mg Elemental Magnesium per capsule
(migraines replacement, muscle tension, pain, anxiety)
• Pure Magnesium Flakes: ¼ - 1 Cup in very warm bath water, soak for 20 minutes
(bathing and relaxation)
• Magnesium Citrate: 120mg Elemental Magnesium per capsule
(great for constipation)
• Magnesium Chloride Topical Spray: 5 sprays or 1mL = 100mg
(muscle spasms, massage, migraines, restless legs)
• Magnesium 20% Cream: 1 nickel-sized to quarter-sized dab = approx. 200 – 400mg of Elemental Magnesium
(muscle spasms, massage, migraines, restless legs)
(Stress Relief, Regularity, Relax, Sleep, Heart, Energy, Mood)
*FDA DISCLAIMER: This product has not been evaluated by the FDA. It is not intended to treat, diagnose, cure or prevent any disease. Always consult your physician when changing any recommended treatments or medication dosages.
IMPORTANT NOTE: This is a summary and does not contain all possible information about this product. For complete information about this product or your specific health needs, ask your health care professional. Always seek the advice of your health care professional if you have any questions about this product or your medical condition. This information is not intended as individual medical advice and does not substitute for the knowledge and judgment of your health care professional. This information does not contain any assurances that this product is safe, effective, or appropriate for you.